Index - FAQ - Rechercher - Membres - Groupes - S’enregistrer - Messages Privés - Connexion
The Woman Who Toils Illustrated Being The Experiences Of

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Forum du jeu Myminicity.fr Index du Forum -> Myminicity -> Liens Myminicity
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
destowhaly

Masculin

MessagePosté le: Mar 4 Juil - 02:08 (2017)    Sujet du message: The Woman Who Toils Illustrated Being The Experiences Of Répondre en citant

The Woman Who Toils (Illustrated): Being the Experiences of Two Gentlewomen as Factory Girls
by Bessie Van Vorst

->>->>->>DOWNLOAD BOOK The Woman Who Toils (Illustrated): Being the Experiences of Two Gentlewomen as Factory Girls

This vintage book from 1902 has been digitally converted to downloadable format with original illustrations. A great classic for the home or classroom, an interesting old-fashioned reference book, and an outstanding find.

PREFATORY LETTER FROM THEODORE ROOSEVELT

Written after reading Chapter III. when published serially

WHITE HOUSE, WASHINGTON, October 18, 1902.

My Dear Mrs. Van Vorst:

I must write you a line to say how much I have appreciated your article, "The Woman Who Toils." But to me there is a most melancholy side to it, when you touch upon what is fundamentally infinitely more important than any other question in this country—that is, the question of race suicide, complete or partial.

An easy, good-natured kindliness, and a desire to be "independent"—that is, to live one's life purely according to one's own desires—are in no sense substitutes for the fundamental virtues, for the practice of the strong, racial qualities without which there can be no strong races—the qualities of courage and resolution in both men and women, of scorn of what is mean, base and selfish, of eager desire to work or fight or suffer as the case may be provided the end to be gained is great enough, and the contemptuous putting aside of mere ease, mere vapid pleasure, mere avoidance of toil and worry. I do not know whether I most pity or most despise the foolish and selfish man or woman who does not understand that the only things really worth having in life are those the acquirement of which normally means cost and effort. If a man or woman, through no fault of his or hers, goes throughout life denied those highest of all joys which spring only from home life, from the having and bringing up of many healthy children, I feel for them deep and respectful sympathy—the sympathy one extends to the gallant fellow killed at the beginning of a campaign, or the man who toils hard and is brought to ruin by the fault of others. But the man or woman who deliberately avoids marriage, and has a heart so cold as to know no passion and a brain so shallow and selfish as to dislike having children, is in effect a criminal against the race, and should be an object of contemptuous abhorrence by all healthy people.

Of course no one quality makes a good citizen, and no one quality will save a nation. But there are certain great qualities for the lack of which no amount of intellectual brilliancy or of material prosperity or of easiness of life can atone, and which show decadence and corruption in the nation just as much if they are produced by selfishness and coldness and ease-loving laziness among comparatively poor people as if they are produced by vicious or frivolous luxury in the rich. If the men of the nation are not anxious to work in many different ways, with all their might and strength, and ready and able to fight at need, and anxious to be fathers of families, and if the women do not recognize that the greatest thing for any woman is to be a good wife and mother, why, that nation has cause to be alarmed about its future.

There is no physical trouble among us Americans. The trouble with the situation you set forth is one of character, and therefore we can conquer it if we only will.

Very sincerely yours,
THEODORE ROOSEVELT.

The Woman Who Toils (Illustrated): Being the Experiences of Two Gentlewomen as Factory Girls Bessie Van Vorst

Being the Experiences of Two Gentlewomen as Factory Girls Written after reading Chapter IIIQuit rockingTHE WOMAN WHO TOILSI must write you a line to say how much I have appreciated your article, "The Woman Who Toils." But to me there is a most melancholy side to it, when you touch upon what is fundamentally infinitely more important than any other question in this country—that is, the question of race suicide, complete or partial1903natureSeuss Rick Riordan Rachel Renee Russell Top Collections American Girl Diary of a Wimpy Kid Finding Dory Harry Potter Land of Stories Magic Tree House Warriors by Erin Hunter Peppa Pig More For Kids B&N Educators B&N Kids' Club Kids' DVD Kids' Music Toys & Games Blog B&N Kids Blog Coming Soon Pre-order tomorrow's bestselling kids' books todayJohn (Bessie) Van Vorst, nee McGinnis (1873- 1928) was an American author and social reformerAdvertising Product Details ISBN-13: 9781409964513 Publisher: Dodo Press Publication date: 03/28/2009 Pages: 228 Product dimensions: 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.52(d) Age Range: 1 - 17 Years Related Subjects Philosophy - General & Miscellaneous Customer Reviews Average Review: Write a Review Post to your social network Most Helpful Customer Reviews See all customer reviews Your rating has been recorded Write a review Rate this item: 1 2 3 4 5 Preview this item Preview this item Nearby libraries CheckingIf a man or woman, through no fault of his or hers, goes throughout life denied those highest of all joys which spring only from home life, from the having and bringing up of many healthy children, I feel for them deep and respectful sympathy the sympathy one extends to the gallant fellow killed at the beginning of a campaign, or the man who toils hard and is brought to ruin by the fault of othersPerry, a New York mill townTHEODORE ROOSEVELTOf course no one quality makes a good citizen, and no one quality will save a nationMy Dear MrsILLUSTRATED

My account Registration Login Account Settings My Books Files Upload Book contact & support Contact Us Tutorial Send Idea Privacy Policy Terms of Service stay connected ISBN 1409964515 (ISBN13: 9781409964513) Edition Language English Other Editions (14) All Editions Add a New Edition Combine .Less Detail edit details The E-mail Address(es) you entered is(are) not in a valid formatI do not know whether I most pity or most despise the foolish and selfish man or woman who does not understand that the only things really worth having in life are those the acquirement of which normally means cost and effortShe lived for a time in France with her sister-in-law Marie Van Vorst (1867-1936) and they collaborated on several works including Bagby's Daughter (1901) and The Woman Who Toils (1903)Similar Items Related Subjects:(7) Women -- Employment -- United States! Javascript is not enabled in your browserBYJohn (Bessie) Van Vorst, nee McGinnis (1873- 1928) was an American author and social reformer 48a4f088c3

CHARLES is geboren op 21 april 1875, in Wexio, SwedenEllen looked like a white girlFree delivery worldwide
Salt Water Taffy Collection | Quilting | Leisure Arts (6973Haunted Horror #27Drawing Books For Kids Birds: Blank Journals To Write In, Doodle In, Draw In Or Sketch In, 8" x 10", 150 Unlined Blank Pages (Blank Notebook & Diary)Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro ProDame Vera Lynn: Official Souvenir SpecialFor Mom Spring Beauties: JournalMycorrhizal Planet: How Symbiotic Fungi Work with Roots to Support Plant Health and Build Soil FertilityAutos super deportivos 12 (Spanish Edition) Hose MazaEnte und Gans Malbuch (German Edition)Comunidade do Crime (Portuguese Edition)
Publicité

MessagePosté le: Mar 4 Juil - 02:08 (2017)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Forum du jeu Myminicity.fr Index du Forum -> Myminicity -> Liens Myminicity Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | créer son forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation